Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Solar Decathlon Group Design Mockup

     Our class' first group project is about creating a mockup web application design for the home management system for the Team Hawaii's entry for Solar Decathlon 2011. The project itself is really interesting because it forces members of this projects especially students to be as innovative and creative as they can. This is the second mockup that I did for the same system. The first one was individual which I thought was I bit harder than the group project. This mockup is a lot easier as three students are working together. I can give and get ideas, opinions and help to/from other members of the group. We used Balsamiq Mockups to create our design, Google chart wizard to represent data and myself personally used MS Visio and Photoshop to add some kick on some of the graphics. We are to design user interfaces to monitor and/or control lightning, HVAC, energy generation and consumption, aquaponics, security and entertainment. While we worked together on some of the pages, we also assigned to create designs individually for different pages. Below is my design for the security page.


This page utilizes the current floor plan to show which part of the house needed attention for security and intruders' position if there's any. It also have security cameras which are triggered by the already existing motion and infrared sensors.
     I also designed the homepage but I spend most of the time designing the Aquaponics page. It's the most interesting one for me, not only designing the page but the system itself. It utilizes the use and reuse cycle. I'm so interested on Aquaponics that I might create one at home. Anyway, my page monitors different levels for the whole system. PH level, Oxygen level and water temperature are all essential for the fishes' health, while the fish tank and plant bed's water levels are to ensure that the whole system is running properly. The idea is to monitor all this in real time so I decided to use gauges and a digital counter to represent data.  When something goes out of the normal levels then an alert and some recommended instructions to fix it will show up on the status field. Below is my design for the Aquaponics page.

No comments:

Post a Comment